questions about GetDDescription [SOLVED]

• On 03/11/2014 at 15:43, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   13+ 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    I have checked _LookAtCamera example, and this thread  https://plugincafe.maxon.net/topic/7716/9757_how-to-dynamically-add-description-elements&KW=GetDDescription

I understand how it works to some extent, but got some questions:
    1- in _ _LookAtCamera example, there is this snippet:

const DescID* singleid = description->GetSingleDescID();

DescID cid = DescLevel(6001, DTYPE_GROUP, 0);
    if (!singleid || cid.IsPartOf(*singleid, nullptr)) // important to check for speedup c4d!
    {;//code here}

_GetSingleDescID() is not documented, so correct me at these points:
    a- I consider if it succeeds , it returns a value to singleid
    b- this if statement is entered only once at the first creation of the description elements, so it fits ONLY to non-changeable descriptions "similar to creating GUI using text files instead of C++ functions" , and I expect it to create garbage for a truly dynamic GUI
    c- initial values are 0 (because they are not set in the init function), so why using _SetBool(DESC_DEFAULT, true)

2- the seconds question is so simple, I want to put the GUI in columns, similar to when you startup Cinema 4D, in the Project settings:
    FPS.......................30          Project Time........... 0 f
    Minimum Time......0 f           Maximum Time ...... 90 f

3- what if I want to create a whole command menu inside a "right click", so if the user did a right click on a specific "gui text" this command menu appears

_

• On 04/11/2014 at 02:45, xxxxxxxx wrote:

for the ( 1-c ) question, I understand now how it works, it is the value of "reset to default" , other questions still need answers

edit:
    about question ( 2 ) , I know how to do it now, from this example: http://www.andrewnoske.com/wiki/Cinema_4D\_-\_my_C%2B%2B_plugins\_-\_object_converter

• On 04/11/2014 at 05:44, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Sometimes, Cinema will ask you for the description of only a single element. If the singleid you get is not nullptr, you should fill the Description only for this DescID and leave everything else out (important for performance reasons)

• On 04/11/2014 at 07:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

thanks Niklas for clarification, so this function won't change the behavior of anything, just a performance check "so I can put it there and forget about it without worries"

what about question 3

• On 04/11/2014 at 11:15, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Mohamed,
    sorry, I wanted to get to your issues way earlier...
    To be honest, I'm not sure about question 3. I know, you can have your own popup menu (I think, that's what it is called in SDK docs) on a GeUserArea, when programming your own CustomGUI. But I don't think this is possible in normal descriptions. And I don't recall having seen this anywhere. Could you give me a pointer, if (and if, where) this is already done somewhere in C4D.
    There is an option to extend the existing popup menus in the same way, as normal menus (see Windows->Customization->Customize Menus to get an idea of the existing menus). Be aware: In this case your change will appear in every occasion this menu is used. I think, there should be very good reasons to go this road. User may not like, getting there popup menus changed.

• On 04/11/2014 at 11:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Andreas,
    I think with your reply I'm getting closer to what I need Smile
    I'm creating a node based material system for my render engine, this material system will have also a tree view representation, this tree view should be able to do "right click" , then add nodes depending on the right click menu

I think you got now an idea about what I'm after, any simple example of GeUserArea and CustomGUI would be appreciated, plus your guidelines 😉

• On 04/11/2014 at 13:37, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I'll extend the asynctest SDK example tomorrow morning to have a small popup menu.

• On 04/11/2014 at 23:00, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Mohamed,

in SDK examples AsyncTest.cpp add the following enumeration for some menu IDs (code for R15+) :

enum
    {
      MY_POPUP_ID_FIRST = FIRST_POPUP_ID,
      MY_POPUP_ID_SUBMENU,
      MY_POPUP_ID_SUBMENU_FIRST,
    };

Then in Bool SDKGradientArea::InputEvent(const BaseContainer& msg) add the following as last else if:

else if (chn == BFM_INPUT_MOUSERIGHT)
        {
          BaseContainer bcPopupMenu;
          BaseContainer bcSubmenu;
          Int32 mx = msg.GetInt32(BFM_INPUT_X); // of course you can use mouse position to have popup menu be position sensitive
          Int32 my = msg.GetInt32(BFM_INPUT_Y);
          Global2Local(&mx, &my);
          Local2Screen(&mx, &my);
          // instead of building the menu everytime, you may better have a prepared container ready
          bcPopupMenu.SetString(MY_POPUP_ID_FIRST, "First menu entry");
          bcSubmenu.SetString(1, "A submenu");
          bcSubmenu.SetString(MY_POPUP_ID_SUBMENU_FIRST, "Submenu entry");
          bcPopupMenu.SetContainer(MY_POPUP_ID_SUBMENU, bcSubmenu);
          const Int32 menuId = ShowPopupMenu(nullptr, mx, my, bcPopupMenu);
          switch (menuId)
          {
          case MY_POPUP_ID_FIRST:
            GePrint("Execute first popupmenu entry");
            break;
          case MY_POPUP_ID_SUBMENU_FIRST:
            GePrint("Execute first submenu entry");
            break;
          case 0:
            GePrint("Menu got canceled");
            break;
          default:
            DebugStop("Popup Menu: Forgot a new enum value?");
          }
          // maybe use SendParentMessage() if need be
        }

The docs on this topic aren't that bad either: R16 SDK Docs: c4d_gui.h

• On 05/11/2014 at 02:54, xxxxxxxx wrote:

thanks a lot  , will test tonight and come back to you

• On 05/11/2014 at 14:25, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Andreas,

I have checked it!! , it is a very interesting example 👏 , this is really very helpful, thanks again for your support, keep the good work up

• On 06/11/2014 at 02:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

just need to confirm about question ( 1-a , 1-b ) , I use this if statement in all created description, or no need at all? need some discussion about what happens here

• On 06/11/2014 at 02:17, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Can you show me a piece of your code? Will make discussion easier.

• On 06/11/2014 at 03:00, xxxxxxxx wrote:

it is the example LookAtCamera ,  LookAtCamera::GetDDescription(), all of the written description are created the same way with a check for performance, need to understand how this works, if there is no specific explanation , is it safe to do the same with all created description? (so I just write them the same way and forget about them) , or this is written in specific situations

• On 06/11/2014 at 03:43, xxxxxxxx wrote:

You mean the

if (!singleid ||...

part?
    Yes, you should do it exactly like it is done in the lookatcamera example. As Niklas said, it's a performance optimization, in case C4D is asking for a single description only.

• On 06/11/2014 at 04:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

yes
    ok thanks 🙂

• On 17/11/2014 at 10:01, xxxxxxxx wrote:

sorry for asking again, but I found that I didn't know yet how to adjust the format of data "question (2)" , the above link that I posted was for Dialogs, didn't notice this, so hope you may reply with a simple example to question (2)

edit:I find that DESC_COLUMNS is doing the job, but what about putting stuff in an irregular way, like:

button1    button2    button3
    button4
    button5    button6
    button7

edit2: I would love to know how to create something similar to this Dialog http://www.andrewnoske.com/wiki/Cinema_4D_-_my_C%2B%2B_plugins_-_add_text
    in GetDDescription() , the combo box, the radio group, etc..

• On 17/11/2014 at 14:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ah, you were too quick. I was just compiling an example for you...
    Nevertheless glad you found your solution.

• On 11/01/2016 at 05:14, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Andreas,

as this is related to  ShowPopupMenu()
    how to put icons in the menu?