Git Version Control??



  • On 11/11/2013 at 18:59, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Hi
    I have all my current projects setup, compiling and running fine on my Mac 10.8.5 C4D R15.
    Same for the Windows 7 partition on my MacMini.

    Then I was looking for advice on how to keep files synchronized between platforms for cross platform work. git was recommended. After a long day of setting it up on both machines and connecting them through bitbucket.com I am running into a bit of a problem.

    I use SourceTree on both machines (because it's free and the account is free and I don't know yet what I am doing exactly). The installation and import of my repository from the Mac was straight forward enough. 
    The Windows side drove me nuts as it was trying to include all 560 or so files in the plugin folder to be tracked even though the respective extensions (.obj, etc) are excluded in a global .gitignore file.

    But eventually I also found out how to limit tracking to the nine files that are the same for both platforms.

    After having all of this finally linked up I try to compile and am getting hundreds of errors where this:
    <<<<<<< HEAD
    shows up on top of every one of my files,
    this at some spots in the files

    and something like this:
    >>>>>>> 0dad29177f8d83f8cec8a3e24d1a77496d5576ea
    at the bottom.
    Ok, so I understand this are some sort of markers git puts in but why are they showing up in my source code and how can I prevent this?
    Thanks

    Peter



  • On 13/11/2013 at 00:45, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Hi Peter,

    you're having merge conflicts. If you modify a source file in one clone of your repository and do
    another change in another clone of the repository in the same source file, these are likely to occur.

    You can see here how to resolve them: http://githowto.com/resolving_conflicts

    Best,
    -Niklas



  • On 13/11/2013 at 08:36, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Hi Niklas

    Merge Conflicts sounds right. I can perfectly do this from the Mac side<->remote.

    I see the edited and 'pushed' version on the remote.

    When I use Sourcetree to 'pull' the new version to the Windows machine after hours of trying I can't seem to find how to make the new version valid so that what I just 'pulled' becomes the working copy on the Windows machine. This stuff is driving me nuts. I guess I'll start over - again.

    Thanks

    Peter



  • On 13/11/2013 at 18:52, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Ok. I think I figured out what I did wrong.

    I had been using one particular folder for testing assuming that I can just delete that folder and it git would 'forget' about it I made a new folder at the same location with the same name, multiple times, thinking that I would start from a blank slate. That was bad!

    When I made a new folder and named it something else everything went as expected.

    Re-reading the relevant chapters in the Git-Book also helped.

    Thanks

    Peter


Log in to reply