Building for R11 and R12 on MacOS 10.7/Xcode 4?



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 28/12/2011 at 02:18, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   R11-12 
    Platform:      Mac OSX  ; 
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

    ---------
    So, despite my crammed credit card, I decided that it was time to have an Apple computer again so that I can develop on my own.  Problem is that the MacBook Pro comes with MacOS X 10.7 and only allows Xcode 4.  And I don't see any way to get a FULL install of MacOS X 10.6 (only an upgrade).  How do I go about supporting Cinema 4D R11 and R12 builds for MacOS without Xcode 3.x?  Any ideas on what can be done would be great!

    Thanks,



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 28/12/2011 at 03:11, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    <ADDRESS>
    User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   R11-12 
    Platform:     
    Mac OSX  ; 
    Language(s) :    
    C++  ;

    ---------
    </ADDRESS> So, despite my crammed credit card, I decided that it was time to have an Apple computer again so that I can develop on my own.  Problem is that the MacBook Pro comes with MacOS X 10.7 and only allows Xcode 4.  And I don't see any way to get a FULL install of MacOS X 10.6 (only an upgrade).  How do I go about supporting Cinema 4D R11 and R12 builds for MacOS without Xcode 3.x?  Any ideas on what can be done would be great!Thanks,

    Basically you can't without several tricks & workarounds, as there is no support for PPC on Lion anymore. Furthermore the 10.5-BaseSDK isn't supported and the old Cinema projects would have to be adapted too (if you like to compile them in Xcode 4.x).

    Besides using VMware to install a server version of OS X 10.6 or modifying a desktop version to be running inside of a VM (and installing XCode 3.2.6 inside of the VM), you can try these workarounds, to get ppc and 10.4/10.5 support in Lion:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7137480/how-do-i-add-ppc-ppc64-support-back-to-xcode-4-2-under-lion
    http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/7906770311/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lion
    http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/8064949186/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lion-redux
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5333490/how-can-we-restore-ppc-ppc64-as-well-as-full-10-4-10-5-sdk-support-to-xcode-4
    http://blog.laurent.etiemble.com/index.php?post/2011/09/04/Xcode-3.2.6%2C-Lion-and-PPC-support

    Best regards,

    Wilfried



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 28/12/2011 at 03:50, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Well, it seems that if I could get my hands on a full install of 10.6 then I could partition the drive and install this OS as a secondary boot (and then Xcode 3.x) into which all my hopes can be filled.   Isn't there ANY way to get a full install of 10.6 or has Apple cut off its nose despite its face?  I'd rather not bother with the overly complicated procedures of trying to run Xcode 3.x on Lion.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 28/12/2011 at 04:21, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    Well, it seems that if I could get my hands on a full install of 10.6 then I could partition the drive and install this OS as a secondary boot (and then Xcode 3.x) into which all my hopes can be filled.   Isn't there ANY way to get a full install of 10.6 or has Apple cut off its nose despite its face?  I'd rather not bother with the overly complicated procedures of trying to run Xcode 3.x on Lion.

    Well, if you have a paid Apple developer membership, then you're able to download a complete 10.6 install - but I can't tell you, if that will run on your MacBook Pro (it should, as all current MacBook Pros have been released before Lion, if memory serves me well).

    Best regards,

    Wilfried



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 28/12/2011 at 14:36, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    I do not have a paid Apple developer membership, unfortunately.  The only one I had was through an LLC and not owned by myself.  More money to flush. :(



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 29/12/2011 at 12:32, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    From my experience and what I've read online, one CANNOT downgrade from MacOS 10.7 to install 10.6.  This is unbearable and stupid.  My computer refuses to install 10.6 even on a DVD boot or on a new partition.  How do I get around this - MAXON!!!!

    Robert - very, very, very frustrated!!!!



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 29/12/2011 at 12:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    I haven't ever done much with Mac and OSX, but my thought is to format the HardDrive using GParted or a Linux-live distribution and then install your desired OSX Version ? Don't see why it should not be possible. 🙂
    However, I might be wrong!

    Cheers !
    Niklas



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 03/01/2012 at 23:44, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    I've decided to build the R12 cinema4dsdk on MacOS 10.7 under Xcode 4.2.  It seems to be working in C4D.  Will it still work on MacOS 10.6?



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 00:00, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    From my experience and what I've read online, one CANNOT downgrade from MacOS 10.7 to install 10.6.  This is unbearable and stupid.  My computer refuses to install 10.6 even on a DVD boot or on a new partition.  How do I get around this - MAXON!!!!Robert - very, very, very frustrated!!!!

    If you need to work on OS X 10.6 and you can't install it on your hardware, using a VM (see my first reply) is the only solution.

    Best regards,

    Wilfried



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 00:02, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    I've decided to build the R12 cinema4dsdk on MacOS 10.7 under Xcode 4.2.  It seems to be working in C4D.  Will it still work on MacOS 10.6?

    It will, if you make sure, that the BaseSDK and deployment target is set to 10.6 (and not 10.7).

    Best regards,

    Wilfried



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 00:33, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    I've decided to build the R12 cinema4dsdk on MacOS 10.7 under Xcode 4.2.  It seems to be working in C4D.  Will it still work on MacOS 10.6?

    It will, if you make sure, that the BaseSDK and deployment target is set to 10.6 (and not 10.7).

    Best regards,

    Wilfried

    Whenever I tried this the Build complained of "missing base sdk" for each project.  To keep my R12 projects 'clean' I am downloading Xcode 3.2.6 and will install it separately from Xcode 4 (Xcode 3 and then Xcode 4 install) so that I can build as before.  Do I really need Xcode 4 as it seems R13 still uses 3.2?  Is that correct?



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 01:45, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    I've decided to build the R12 cinema4dsdk on MacOS 10.7 under Xcode 4.2.  It seems to be working in C4D.  Will it still work on MacOS 10.6?

    It will, if you make sure, that the BaseSDK and deployment target is set to 10.6 (and not 10.7).

    Best regards,

    Wilfried

    Whenever I tried this the Build complained of "missing base sdk" for each project. [...] [/QUOTE]

    Check, if the BaseSDK for 10.6 is properly installed (on my Lion machine it is) and that no older BaseSDKs (10.5/10.4) are referenced by your projects.

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    To keep my R12 projects 'clean' I am downloading Xcode 3.2.6 and will install it separately from Xcode 4 (Xcode 3 and then Xcode 4 install) so that I can build as before.  Do I really need Xcode 4 as it seems R13 still uses 3.2?  Is that correct?

    You can't install XCode 3.2 on Lion - but you can use the components, if you add them to XCode 4 (see the links I attached in my first reply). If you don't want to "hack" Xcode 4 and can't install OS X 10.6 on your hardware, you've to use a VM (see my first reply).

    R13 still uses XCode 3.2, but the projects had already been adapted to XCode 4.0 (which at the time we had our code freeze wasn't in a production-ready state [Lion wasn't either] - therefore we used XCode 3.2.6 and OS X 10.6 for building).

    XCode 4.2 still has some hick-ups (in debugging), but the compilers work (esp. Clang 3.0 is great). However you've pay to attention to the fact, that GCC 4.2 is no longer supported (it still was in XCode 4.0); you've to switch to LLVM-GCC or - better - Clang.

    Furthermore there have been bigger changes in the internal build process from XCode 3.2 -> 4.x (they fixed several things that didn't work properly in XCode 3.x), which might lead to trouble, when you try to compile the r12 SDK with XCode 4.2; I just remember, that we created new projects for XCode 4 and when everything worked fine, we tried to run it on XCode 3.2 to find out, that the bugs in the build system of XCode 3 prevented the projects from working properly, forcing us to spend another week in creating project files for r13 that work in XCode 3.2 & 4.0...

    Best regards,

    Wilfried



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 01:53, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    You can install XCode 3.2.6 on Lion!  You just need to run a terminal command and the Essentials are then enabled and installed.  Just built the cinema4dsdk plugin and another for a friend without any problems.  Both work in C4D R12 64 and 32.

    It's now possible to greatly simplify the installation process:

    Mount the Xcode 3.2.6 DMG
      Open Terminal
      Enter the commands:

    export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1
      open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg"

    The open command will launch the installer app and allow you to install Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion with no package modifications.

    Note that I made sure to have full access ('sudo su') before entering the Terminal commands.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 04/01/2012 at 02:31, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    You can install XCode 3.2.6 on Lion!  You just need to run a terminal command and the Essentials are then enabled and installed.  Just built the cinema4dsdk plugin and another for a friend without any problems.  Both work in C4D R12 64 and 32.>It's now possible to greatly simplify the installation process:    Mount the Xcode 3.2.6 DMG    Open Terminal    Enter the commands:    export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1    open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/Xcode and iOS SDK.mpkg"The open command will launch the installer app and allow you to install Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion with no package modifications.

    Note that I made sure to have full access ('sudo su') before entering the Terminal commands.

    Cool! If you need the full installation, you might have to remove the version check; see: http://catacombae.blogspot.com/2011/07/installing-xcode-326-in-mac-os-x-lion.html

    Best regards,

    Wilfried


Log in to reply