MoData Question - only in effectors?



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 24/11/2011 at 05:56, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Dear coders,

    I hit a snag that prompted me to dive into Python. Something I thought wasn't possible in COFFEE, and was in Python - the GeGetModata command. But I realized I better ask here before I go on another wild goose chase. It seems this is not related to the script language. So I'll explain what I am trying to do.

    I need to read data from MoGraph objects, such as the object type, linked object references and several other #MG_ ID's. Also I need the matrices of indexed nodes. I want to use this info to do things to other objects in the scene, not to the cloners/matrix objects that I am reading from. Things like create or remove objects, move them around, etc. The Xpresso MoGraph data node is not an option for getting the data I need, because the script relies on recursion.

    So far, I can do this in an Xpresso node script - up to the point where I need the matrix data, this is where I hit the roadblock - I cannot execute the GeGetModata command (at least in COFFEE). According to a friend, this is because it only works in an effector.

    So how do I fix this? 
    Does moving to Python help at all, can I use the GeGetModata command in an Xpresso node script there? Or does it also need an effector?
    Can I port my script to an effector and still do the things I want to do to the rest of the scene? In what script language?

    Thanks a lot if you can help me, I am putting a lot of time and effort in this project and it's going to be lovely - if it works. Very vexed...

    Dr. Scarlett
    (PS, due to the nature of the question I am not sure if put this in the right forum)



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 24/11/2011 at 22:55, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Had an answer elsewhere - moderator can close.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 24/11/2011 at 23:53, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    You might not have read it yet, as you have deleted the thread on CGScoiety. (Again) I tell you to share your solution or the answer you got.

    Just in case, for others, here it is:
    See: on CGSociety

    Cheers, Niklas.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 25/11/2011 at 05:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Dear sir,

    I am not aware of having deleted this thread on CGTalk. Also I do not remember having been warned about failing to share solutions across fora.

    However, I have been warned about posting irrelevant material or posting in the wrong place (which relates to the only recent thread deletion I can recollect) - hence my concern for clutter on the forum, and the subsequent friendly suggestion to delete this thread. Which by the way, was hardly read and went without reply, indicating disinterest in the matter and supporting my motivation for suggesting to delete. Ultimately your call of course, but it was just a suggestion.

    So, if my memory fails me, your remark could be justified, and I apologize in advance for this reply.
    However, like you, I am a fervent supporter of proper communication and I intend to further dedicate ample time on the various fora to those in the online C4D community with a knowledge level below mine. As such, if I am correct in the above mentioned recollection, I resent being admonished in this way for an otherwise well meant remark, and I would request an apology in return.

    Regards,

    Dr. Scarlett



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 25/11/2011 at 06:28, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    If my answer seemed impolite or rude to you, I must excuse. This was not my intention. Such remarks won't "scare you away. If you are a supportive member and care about your questions (eg. ask well formed, readable and concrete questions) nobody will hide his answer.

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    I do not not remember you telling me to share a solution before.

    Yes, I did. Remember your thread on CGSociety about writing multiple Python statements on one line. I've asked you to share the solution. Not quite sure If I have added it later on. Maybe you haven't read my eventual edited post and did already delete the thread.

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    nobody seemed interested over here

    You can't expect an answer within about 24 hours and then say that nobody did care about it !

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    I am not aware of having deleted this thread on CGTalk.

    I wasn't talking about the equal thread on CGSociety, I was talking about the one about the Python Syntax from above.

    I have nothing against you or your person, I've just told you to share your solution with others, because this is the actual sense of a Forum.

    Regards,
    Niklas

    -- Previous Private Message --
    Sent by : Dr. Scarlett
    Sent : 25 Nov 2011 at 12:40am

    Hi Niklas,

    I'm trying to be an active supportive member, also help out people who are even more noobish than I am (on the c4d cafe at least). With such remarks you will scare me away. What's up with the 'again'? I do not not remember you telling me to share a solution before. And which thread did I delete on CG? I only remember a thread that was not in the right place there, that you pointed out and subsequently deleted.

    Please refresh my memory..

    Anyway just to clarify - nobody seemed interested over here, so I just suggested to delete. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get snide with me. Now I'm upset :(

    Dr. Scarlett



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 25/11/2011 at 09:23, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Hi Guys

    Its easy in this day an age to read things the wrong way 
    especially when you read cold black and white text without all the body language that often gives us a better feel for where the conversation is headed

    Having just been through the same thing on CGTalk I'm glad it was put down to a misunderstanding and everyone got along. Even to the point of providing feedback on the post that started the issue.

    Yes, well all feel we need to 'win' this sort of debate. But its far better not to have to go there, as that conclusion always ends badly for one party.

    Hope you guys just put it down to a misunderstanding and can get back to doing what you do well

    atb

    Paul



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 25/11/2011 at 13:53, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Dear sirs,

    If it was not clear by now, to me this whole thing is about being civil and kind. The reason I am so angry is because, first, I am being told (<-mind the phrasing) not to post something. When I delete it, and act accordingly in another duplicate thread, I'm being told (<-again) to be more mindful of sharing. Make up your mind already.
    Then I try to give a huge hint by phrasing my distraught public reply as eloquently as I can, indeed assuming the possibility of a misunderstanding - which results in a private precursory message being aired publicly (a transgression of trust a moderator should know to avoid - remind me never to send any PM's anymore), negating any apologetic quality the start of that 'broadcast' might have.

    Indeed, it is text, and it might just be the result of quick thoughtless reacting under the duress of not having enough time - but it is still very rude, and leaves me with the aftertaste of being involved in an authoritarian power trip.

    Sehr geehrter Herr Rosenstein,

    if you would appreciate my contributions, you sure have a strange way of showing it. Maybe you do not have a lot of time, maybe you just don't care, maybe you just think I should shut up. But if you think I am wrong or strange in looking for a bit of respectful treatment, let me finish off with reminding you that a little kindness and a little care in phrasing (not with my usual long-windedness, but with words like 'would', 'may' and 'please') goes a long way.

    I am coming to love the C4D community, I always share, and always observe moderators requests with courteous compliance.

    See you on all the other places.

    Dr. Scarlett



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 26/11/2011 at 01:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Yes, I do understand your point. I admit that I was not friendly in telling you my request, but our opinions diverge in what is rude and what is not. And therefore I have to apoligize. I felt like a more experienced user and wanted you to learn something that will help us and other members of the community. As you did already notice, I also tried to help you on the other Forum.

    [...] let me finish off with reminding you that a little kindness and a little care in phrasing (not with my usual long-windedness, but with words like 'would', 'may' and 'please') goes a long way.

    I will keep that in mind, I don't want to repeat any such discussion.

    Regards, Niklas



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 26/11/2011 at 09:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Waow Niklas,

    very cool reaction - I stand corrected and humbled. Whilst I could not get over my slightly irrational state of mind, you managed to show me and everyone the chivalry of a mature and wise reaction.

    I should, and actually do know better, and apologize for my inflexible attitude in return.

    Thanks for reminding me, for solving this and for your excellent and helpful reaction on the other forum!

    Mit freundlichen Grüssen,
    Dr. Scarlett


Log in to reply