Help with Matrix

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 29/05/2010 at 10:26, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   11.5 
    Platform:      Mac OSX  ; 
    Language(s) :   C.O.F.F.E.E  ;

---------
    I'm struggling with dot syntax... Could somebody give me some guidance as to what I'm doing wrong...?

I'm just trying to store the cube's X position.

main(doc,op)
    {
    var cube=doc->FindObject("Cube");
    var cubeX = cube.x;
    }

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 29/05/2010 at 10:49, xxxxxxxx wrote:

You've skipped a step. You must get the position from your object.

var cube = doc->FindObject("Cube"); // this is just what object you want to use   
    var cubeposition = cube->GetPosition(); // This is the local position, vectors x y z.   
    var cubeposX = cubeposition.x; // Her you pick the x vector   

Do read the basicsin the 9.5 COFFEE SDK
    (Found under "Older SDK" at Support Downloads)
    Most of the ideas behind programming is very well described in it.

Cheers
    Lennart

On 29/05/2010 at 11:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I see...

Would you be able to help me with something else...?

I'm trying to keep a null aligned to a spline using an offset specified in a user data field. When I move and rotate the spline, the null doesn't stay aligned because I can't figure out how to input the correct Matrix details. I know this would be simple in Xpresso, but I'm trying to learn COFFEE. I do have the SDK, but it can be difficult to find the answers at times. I would be really grateful for any pointers...

main(doc,op)
    {
    var spline=doc->FindObject("Spline");
    var point=doc->FindObject("point");

var offsetAmount=spline#ID_USERDATA:1;
    var offset=spline->GetSplinePoint(offsetAmount,0);

point->SetPosition(offset);
    }

On 30/05/2010 at 06:28, xxxxxxxx wrote:

This would be the basics for that. Your position along the spline need to be
    converted into Global space.
    Note that there is no easy way to get a deformed position.
    Also, do check the Init() function in the SDK if you want/need to do any calculations on the spline.

Cheers
    Lennart

main(doc,op)   
    {   
    var spline = doc->FindObject("Spline");   
    if(!spline) return; // Not found   
    var Cube = doc->FindObject("Cube");   
    if(!Cube) return; // Not found   

var offsetAmount = spline#ID_USERDATA:1;   
    var offset = spline->GetSplinePoint(offsetAmount,0); // The local position along the spline   
        offset = spline->GetMg()->GetMulP(offset);// Get the global offset position   

var CubeM = Cube->GetMg(); // Get the Cube matrix   
        CubeM->SetV0(offset); // Load new position (your offset) into Cube matrix   
        Cube->SetMg(CubeM);    // Reload the edited matrix back to Cube   
    }   

On 30/05/2010 at 10:59, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks a lot Lennart, I've been through your help and it's working just as i wanted. You've given me some really good pointers.
    Benek