Distance between two points

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 15/05/2010 at 13:20, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   11.5 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Does anyone know how I would find the distance between two points.

Let's say that one point is  p1 = Vector(12, 34, 90);

And the other point is p2 = Vector(46, 766, 90);

How would I find the distance between p1 & p2?

Thanks in advance,

~Shawn

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 15/05/2010 at 14:32, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Len(p2-p1)

On 15/05/2010 at 14:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Great thanks!

~Shawn

On 15/05/2010 at 15:45, xxxxxxxx wrote:

You're stealing my thunder, Samir.
    This was eventually a question that I'd have known the answer for :-P

On 16/05/2010 at 01:15, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Well, that happens when you move away to turkey Jack. There´s a delay now as I am still nearer to the us now. ;-)

On 16/05/2010 at 11:00, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Actually if you are using the length for an often called comparision routine, it might be wiser to avoid len or any sqrt related routine. They are relatively slow.

Kabe

On 16/05/2010 at 14:50, xxxxxxxx wrote:

how would you do it without using those functions?

~Shawn

On 17/05/2010 at 03:54, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Well, just use the squared distances.

The squared distance ist (x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2+(z1-z2)^2.

Instead of applying root to get length, you square the distance which you use for comparision.

Cheers

Kabe

On 28/07/2010 at 13:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

That's what I do when it is simply a distance comparison.  Sqrt() is expensive!