Link errors in R10 but not R9 (Xcode)



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 07:53, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    [...]
    So the conclusion may be that the FBX SDK supports all architectures but the libiconv library only supports specific machines.

    I'm not sure if there is a universal binary version of libiconv available.

    Adios,
    Cactus Dan

    The readme.txt of the PC version of the FBX SDK explicitly states, that they don't support ppc64. If memory serves me right we once tried to get around those problems (by faking some lib entry points) after discovering, that the SDK contained ppc64 bit code - but finally failed due to a missing method (inside of the FBX SDK).

    Best regards,

    Wilfried Behne



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 07:59, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Howdy,

    Thanks Matthias.

    Something else I discovered:
    When installing the libiconv port using MacPorts, if I add "+universal" to the command like this:

    sudo port install libiconv +universal
    

    ... then it installs a universal binary version of libiconv

    But, on my core 2 quad machine running Snow Leopard, it only installs it for i386 & x86_64.:

    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures   
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture i386) : Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386   
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture x86_64) : Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
    

    ... and on my core duo machine running Leopard it only installs it for ppc & i386:

    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures   
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture ppc7400) : Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc   
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (for architecture i386) : Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
    

    What I really need is an install for ppc, i386, ppc64 & x86_64, but I haven't found a way to get that yet.

    The reason I've installed it from MacPorts (even though the libiconv.2.dylib is in the MacOS sdks) is that to get my plugin to compile in R10 and above, I used the "libiconv.a" static library from the MacPorts installation, since I couldn't figure out the right framework to include or build setting in the project to get it to compile without the link errors.

    Adios,
    Cactus Dan



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 08:04, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    I remember we had a simlar issue with this lib a while ago in a completely unrelated project.

    At that time the problem was that the libiconv from /usr/local/lib was used, which only contains just the current architecture. There was another one in a different folder which contained all architectures. I'm just traing to find the exact information on this, but maybe this hint could help you already.

    Kabe



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 08:12, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Howdy,

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    ...The readme.txt of the PC version of the FBX SDK explicitly states, that they don't support ppc64. If memory serves me right we once tried to get around those problems (by faking some lib entry points) after discovering, that the SDK contained ppc64 bit code - but finally failed due to a missing method (inside of the FBX SDK)...

    Thanks for that bit of info, Wilfried.

    Maybe that will be fixed in fbx 2011?

    Adios,
    Cactus Dan



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 08:16, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    Howdy,

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    ...The readme.txt of the PC version of the FBX SDK explicitly states, that they don't support ppc64. If memory serves me right we once tried to get around those problems (by faking some lib entry points) after discovering, that the SDK contained ppc64 bit code - but finally failed due to a missing method (inside of the FBX SDK)...

    Thanks for that bit of info, Wilfried.

    Maybe that will be fixed in fbx 2011?

    Adios,
    Cactus Dan

    Haven't looked into that version, but I wouldn't be suprised if they finally dropped PPC support completely.

    Best regards,

    Wilfried Behne



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/04/2010 at 08:26, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Howdy,

    Originally posted by xxxxxxxx

    ...Haven't looked into that version, but I wouldn't be suprised if they finally dropped PPC support completely...

    You're probably right.

    Adios,
    Cactus Dan


Log in to reply