THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED
On 12/09/2009 at 12:37, xxxxxxxx wrote:
Cinema 4D Version: 11.5
Platform: Windows ; Mac ;
Language(s) : C++ ;
when i try to convert a render instance into an object inside cinema, by pressing 'c' for example, nothing happens.
when i uncheck 'render instance' in the instance's options it works again. is this a bug ?
On 14/09/2009 at 02:01, xxxxxxxx wrote:
I wouldn't call it abug. After all render instances are just links to objects which are instanced at render time.
On 14/09/2009 at 03:02, xxxxxxxx wrote:
maybe my thinking is wrong here, but why sould instances an render instances, which are very cool ofc , behave differently when i want to convert them to the source object ?
After all these instances are the same object, just differing in the tick of an option. From an end-user's point of view, I think it would be natural to have the same behaviour here.
Here's again what i did in cinema:
create a cube primitive and make an instance for it.
if i press 'c' to convert, it works, the instance gets converted to the cube.
But if i check the 'render instance' setting, and convert the instance then, it just does nothing..
On 14/09/2009 at 03:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:
I think this currently a limitation of Cinema's object plugins. Internally the render instances just return NULL. Any object plugin which returns NULL can not be made editable. You can however do a CSTO (which is different then making it editable) by right click and "Current State To Object". It will result in a NULL object.
I understand your point of view though. I will forward this to the developers.
On 14/09/2009 at 03:41, xxxxxxxx wrote:
On 14/09/2009 at 05:54, xxxxxxxx wrote:
Simply untick the "Render Instances" option by code before the CSTO. That shouldn´t have any impact on performance.
On 14/09/2009 at 08:56, xxxxxxxx wrote:
yes that would be the workaround ofc, just wanted to know why it is like that, and if it's a bug or not.
the reason i noticed this in the first place was that collision detection of my generated clones wouldnt work anymore, bc render instances wouldnt get converted to poly's , like normal instances do.
So now in my code, I do indeed just check every instance before i convert to polys, and remove the render instance flag if it is set.
Of course it would be better if there was no need for such a workaround, so thats why I brought this up.