Linking to API library

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 01/08/2009 at 03:22, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   R11 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I've written some COFFEE plugins and am now resurrecting my old C++ skills. I have a question about building plugins.

I've successfully built the SDK example plugin. I understand that for my own plugs, I can copy the cinema4dsdk folder and use that as a base. However, that means recompiling the API code for each new plugin.

Is it acceptable to compile the API code to a static library and link to that? This would avoid having to add the _api project to each solution. I've tried it and it works fine, but are there any problems waiting down the line if I do this? Or is this what everyone does anyway?

I'd be very interested in any comments.

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 04/08/2009 at 12:33, xxxxxxxx wrote:

The API is always built into a static library. Xcode sometimes rebuilds it but it can be referenced in the link section of the build environment. It is built into the resource\api_lib\ folder. Make sure to select the correct build target (release or debug) and then the associated api.lib.

On 04/08/2009 at 14:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Robert. That's good because I'd prefer to compile the library once then link to the api.lib for new plugins.

Good to know that's okay to do.

Steve