DescToolData Parameters & Plugin ID Issue



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 06/06/2009 at 23:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   R11 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

    ---------
    I'm creating my first DescriptionToolData plugin, based on the SDK Edge Cut example.

    I renamed the description resource files, created new parameters and registered the renamed plugin with its own ID. When the tool was first being selected, the parameters weren't automatically initializing as per InitDefaultSettings() but would initialize after clicking the Reset Values button.

    The problem seems to be related to the plugin ID, which came from Plugin Cafe. It doesn't occur when testing with various other IDs, including a second one obtained for this plugin.

    There are no other plugins in the \plugins folder and there are no duplicate .cdl files in the folder for this plugin.

    It would be good to know what's happening so that I can be confident that problems won't occur on other machines.

    Any feedback would be appreciated.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 08/06/2009 at 06:29, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    As long as the plugin ID is unique in shouldn't affect the plugin behaviour.

    cheers,
    Matthias



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 08/06/2009 at 14:43, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Thanks for the reply.

    The problem occurs if I clear out the plugin folder except for the res folder, source folder and the .sln and .vcproj files. After recompiling, the behaviour persists.

    If I replace the the Edge Cut tool ID with the problem ID in the cinema4dsdk project, its parameters also fail to initialize.

    Can you think of any reason for this behaviour?



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 08/06/2009 at 15:47, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    The ID is 1024032.

    Again, all testing has been done with nothing else in the \plugins folder.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 09/06/2009 at 23:01, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    The weirdness continues.

    All parameters of my plugin were initializing correctly until I edited the resource files to change the number and arrangement of parameters. They are now failing to initialize.

    A version saved prior to these changes, which was correctly initializing, is now showing the same errors.

    The problem disappears if I use a new ID in both versions.

    I can get a new ID every time this happens but not understanding what's going on gives me the willies.

    I'm not sure whether this is related but when adapting the plugin from Edge Cut it was necessary use its 'descname.h' ID values (then go higher for additional parameters). Other values above 1000 did not work.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 10/06/2009 at 01:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Sorry, I have no idea, never encountered something like this.

    As for the description element IDs, it should be safe to use IDs >= 1000.

    cheers,
    Matthias



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 10/06/2009 at 05:03, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Thanks, I appreciate that this is a curly one. It looks like I'll just have to develop using a new test ID every time the problem occurs and obtain an official one prior to release.

    In case it's of use, I re-examined the description element IDs issue.

    The plugin has a new plugin ID, so its parameters are intializing properly. If I edit its 'descname.h' file so that the IDs start at 1000 the parameters do not initialize, either when the tool is selected or when Reset Values is clicked. After restoring the previous (Edge Cut) IDs, the parameters initialize properly again.

    Similar behaviour occurs when making the same changes to 'tooledgecutsdk.h' in the cinema4dsdk project.

    The same thing has happened with all other description element IDs I've tried.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 10/06/2009 at 05:50, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    I've just discovered that the problem is associated with testing the plugin using a pre-saved test scene. When the scene is opened, the tool is active but its parameters do not appear in the AM until it's selected. A conflict is obviously occurring after changing either the plugin ID or description element IDS.

    If I recreate the test conditions in a new scene and select the tool, its parameters initialize without problems.

    I feel a strange mixture of joy and embarrassment.

    Sorry for the confusion.



  • THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

    On 15/06/2009 at 01:26, xxxxxxxx wrote:

    Well, I am glad you found the problem :)

    cheers,
    Matthias


Log in to reply