Copy Datatype

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 20/05/2009 at 02:53, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Did you try to pass the reference as a = *b; ?

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 20/05/2009 at 03:46, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ok this is funny.
    I have found a line in my code where i wrote something like this.

AixGeometry cubeCache = *defaultCube; //defaultCube is a pointer on an    
                                                                              //AixGeometry

In this case it seems to work correct. But why it doesn't work if i have two "concrete" AixGeometries.

AixGeometry a;
    AixGeometry b;

b = a;

Is it not the same as b = *a if a is a pointer (AixGeometry* a)?

Thanks,

Oli

On 20/05/2009 at 07:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ok, i found another line where a = *b doesn't work :-(.
    I have written a copy-constructor with the same success. It can't be mere chance, that the function one time does it's work and one time not.

I' m glad about every idea i get.

cheers,

Oli

On 20/05/2009 at 11:56, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Do you have a copy constructer defined in your AixGeometry class?

On 25/05/2009 at 01:56, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

yes, i have tried this too. But no chance; same garbage.

On 25/05/2009 at 02:46, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Actually the assignment operator must be called as a.operator=(b) is called in the case of a = b.

But if you have both defined (you should have both defined), an explicit copy constructor and an assignment operator, the only chance (cause I don´t know the structure of the full class you have there) you should in the end try a copy assignment operator, to avoid shallow copying.

On 26/05/2009 at 02:26, xxxxxxxx wrote:

So, i have tried this too; without success. I have also compared the memory-adresses - all correct. So i have to search anywhere else in my code.

Thanks for your help,

Oli

On 26/05/2009 at 02:30, xxxxxxxx wrote:

hmm, then I really have no other idea either. :-/ I am curious in knowing the solution to your problem if you find out.

Good luck

On 26/05/2009 at 06:16, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I got it :-).
    AixGeometry works like a container for the other datatypes (points, lines etc). In one of them i have commented out the operator= not so long ago to debug something.

So I summarise.
    To make deep copies of your datatype(s), you need the CopyData-function of each datatype, the operator= and the copyconstructor.
    If one of the last two functions doesn't exist, Cinema only makes a shallow copy.

So thanks for your help,

cheers Oli

On 26/05/2009 at 06:19, xxxxxxxx wrote:

ah there you go. Glad you finally worked it out. The good ol power of three. :)