memory leaks / what does this mean now

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 11/05/2009 at 11:00, xxxxxxxx wrote:

So you're Ello, too?
    How many accounts do you have?

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 11/05/2009 at 11:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

3 ;) and thats just because the password email doesnt work.. i already sent a mail to maxon but didnt got a response so far.. i'd be glad to use my original "ello" account again

On 11/05/2009 at 14:22, xxxxxxxx wrote:

i found that this line is responsible:

> `

\>  op = (BaseObject* )(profile->GetClone(0, NULL));  
    \>  

`

but using Free(op); doesnt help...

profile is created here:
    > `

\>  BaseObject *profile = (BaseObject* )(bc- >GetLink(PROFILE,op->GetDocument()));  
    \>  

`

any further hints?

On 11/05/2009 at 14:47, xxxxxxxx wrote:

BaseObject* profile = bc->GetObjectLink(PROFILE, op->GetDocument());
    if (!profile) // do something

Always check for NULL in cases like this (the user could clear the LINK)!

What are you doing with the clone?

On 11/05/2009 at 15:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

the full part already looks like this:

> `

\>  BaseObject *op = BaseObject::Alloc(Osplinecircle);  
    \>  if (profile)   
    \>  {  
    \>  profile ->SetEditorMode(MODE_OFF);  
    \>  profile->SetRenderMode(MODE_OFF);  
    \>  op = (BaseObject* )(profile->GetClone(0, NULL));  
    \>  }  
    \>  profile->InsertUnderLast(sweep);  
    \>  

`

if i dont uses the LINK the leaks dont appear

btw. this all happens in a for-loop

On 11/05/2009 at 15:42, xxxxxxxx wrote:

You should move profile->InsertUnderLast(sweep) into the if{} block just in case profile is NULL, otherwise the code may crash.

You allocate to op instead of profile. I hope that is just a typing error here or is profile coming from someplace else?

You may need to create an AliasTrans and see if that removes the leaks from GetClone(). Normally you need one if the clone is going into another document than the one inwhich the original resides.

Finally, are you calling BaseObject::Free(op) in the for loop? Otherwise you would only be freeing the last iteration.

On 11/05/2009 at 21:52, xxxxxxxx wrote:

yes, that was a typo. its "op" which is inserted..

i'll check that with the AliasTrans.. the manual sayi it can be NULL.. but i'll see what the manual offers about that..

I used the Free(op); inside the loop but that doesnt help

On 11/05/2009 at 22:12, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Okay. :)

AliasTrans can be NULL, but in the case of cloning into other documents it should not. The reason is that AliasTrans does the 'reassigning' in such cases (such as when the object has a link which isn't cloned and doesn't exist in the new document, it will clear it accordingly, and so on).

Still, I'm not sure if the GetClone() is the only cause of the leaks. Is it definitive or circumstantial?

On 12/05/2009 at 02:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

just to clarify, i am not cloning it into another document.

the leaking appears as soon as i use this line:
    op = (BaseObject* )(profile->GetClone(0, NULL));

when i comment it out, everything is fine :)

btw. it only happens when i have dragged something into the link field and the condition "if(profile)" is true

On 12/05/2009 at 04:45, xxxxxxxx wrote:

definately has something to do with the combination of cloning the linked object since using a child object (op->GetDown(); does work with this line:

> `

\>  BaseObject *clone = static_cast<BaseObject*>(child->GetClone(0, NULL));  
    \>  

`

any ideas?

On 12/05/2009 at 08:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Instead of:
    BaseObject *op = BaseObject::Alloc(Osplinecircle);

do:
    Baseobject* op = NULL;

You don´t need to allocate op if you fill it with a clone later on. C4D does the memory allocation for the clone internally when you call GetClone().

On 12/05/2009 at 08:42, xxxxxxxx wrote:

thanks! that was my idea to have at least a splinecircle when the user didnt drag a spline to the link field.

but just a second ago i found out that somehow exactly that creation of the circle beforehand was the issue. now there is no leaking and i am just feeling lighter now :D

thanks for all your help here!

this is how i do it now:

> `

\>    
    \>                 if(profileLink)       
    \>                 {  
    \>                      BaseObject *profile = static_cast<BaseObject*>(profileLink->GetClone(0, NULL));  
    \>                      profile->InsertUnderLast(sweep);  
    \>                 }  
    \>  

`