Bug in R11?

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 26/01/2009 at 08:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   11 
    Platform:    Mac  ;  
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Hi!

I found out that this code crashes on Mac.
    Can anyone confirm? For a small workaround I put all the deallocation stuff
    into PluginMessage with the ID C4DPL_ENDACTIVITY which seems to work there.

#include "c4d.h"

BaseObject *op;

Bool PluginStart(void)
    {
         op = BaseObject::Alloc(Ocube);
         return TRUE;
    }

void PluginEnd(void)
    {
         BaseObject::Free(op); //crashes here
    }

Bool PluginMessage(LONG id, void *data)
    {
         return TRUE;
    }

Thanks and bye :)

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 26/01/2009 at 09:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Is 'op' ever inserted into a BaseDocument?

Also, I wouldn't trust using global variables except under specific circumstances. Do a forum search for __WINCRTINIT.

On 26/01/2009 at 10:03, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi!

Yes, you are right, it was just an example. I don't use global variables here. It was just an example to show that it crashes, when I free a GeListeNode object.

On 29/01/2009 at 06:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

can anyone confirm that? thx :)

On 29/01/2009 at 08:14, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I can confirm this.

You have to use C4DPL_ENDACTIVITY and C4DPL_STARTACTIVITY for allcoations/deallocations which depend on other plugins.

You allocate a BaseObject (a cube) which is probably just another plugin by itself.

Besides this the use of global static classes is forbidden (not your case since it's just a pointer).

From the techinfo paper:

Stability and Testing

• Crashes due to use of global static classes
    • Crashes happen randomly and are often hard to reproduce
    • Allowed are elementary datatypes and datatypes that don't need to be allocated (LONG, Real, CHAR, GE_SPINLOCK etc.)
    • Any other SDK datatype cannot be placed in the global scope

Wrong!

AutoAlloc <String> my_global_string1;
    Stringmy_global_string2;
    Filenamemy_global_filename;

cheers,
    Matthias

On 06/03/2009 at 02:15, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi!

At first I checked out several cases and thought the object is not owned by my plugin but thats not the case.

In PluginEnd I deallocate and clean up some allocated objects(BaseDocuments, BaseObjects, etc.) which were created in the sandbox. Well, I would do all that in C4DPL_ENDACTIVITY but thats not possible. So imagine the following case:

Someone creates an object of BaseDocument in the sandbox. The sandbox is similar to the standard console and is just a terminal. So if you type

doc = get_active_document.get_clone() you get a clone of the document which is stored in the sandbox and the object is alive until the sandbox is closed and freed which happens in PluginEnd().

gDelete(glob->sandbox); the deconstructor cleans up all allocated objects. So imagine there is a BaseDocument like the example above so Py4D calls BaseDocument::Free(objectA); which crashs on Mac OSX but not on Windows. Interesting point: BaseBitmap::Free(objectB); does not crash in PluginEnd().

So I set a global flag called "finalize" that BaseDocument::Free() will not be executed, if this is called from the cleanup management in PluginEnd. That means, there are memory leaks on Mac OSX. Is there another workaround?

bye...