object/poly behind mouse cursor

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 07/07/2008 at 01:58, xxxxxxxx wrote:

ok nevermind, meanwhile i found the solution in another post here..

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 14/07/2008 at 02:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

It would be maybe interesting for the other forum members to know how you solved the problem. Maybe you can share what you have found out.

cheers,
    Matthias

On 14/07/2008 at 03:01, xxxxxxxx wrote:

of course, forgot about tat sry ;-)

im using GeRayCollider to shoot rays from my eye through the mouse cursor, just like superman would do ;-)

in the code below im checking if the ray hits the currently active object:

> \> AutoAlloc<GeRayCollider> rc;      \> if (!rc) return FALSE; \> // the object i want to know if it was hit \> BaseObject\* obj = doc->GetActiveObject(); \> \> Vector wtail = bd->SW(Vector(mx,my,0)); \> Vector whead = bd->SW(Vector(mx,my,10000.0)); \> Vector otail = (!obj->GetMg()) \* wtail; \> Vector oray = (whead - wtail) ^ (!obj->GetMg()); \> \> // init rayCollider with object to check ray collisions on           \> rc->Init(obj,TRUE); \> // check for intersection, 10000 is the length of the ray \> rc->Intersect(otail, !oray, 10000.0);                                               \> \> // if a ray has hit the object \> if(rc->GetNearestIntersection(&res;)){ \> . \> . \> // res.hitpos has the hit position \> // and res.f_normal is the normal vec of the hit polygon \> . \> . \> } \>

the stuff with the computation on the right vector, i found using the forum search here.

On 14/07/2008 at 03:03, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for sharing

cheers,
    Matthias

On 02/04/2011 at 05:25, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I am trying this exact thing and am not getting any results.

Here's the code I am using.

BaseObject* pObj = doc->GetActiveObject();  
      if(!pObj) return FALSE;  

AutoAlloc<GeRayCollider> cRay;  
      if (!cRay) return FALSE;  

GeRayColResult res;  

// Make sure RayCollider is there  
      if (!cRay)  
      {  
          GePrint("ERROR - RayCollider not Initialized");  
          return FALSE;  
      }  

Vector wtail =    bd->SW(Vector(x, y, UM_START));  
      Vector whead =    bd->SW(Vector(x, y, UM_END)) - wtail;  
      Vector otail = (!pObj->GetMg()) * wtail;  
      Vector oray     = (whead - wtail) ^ (!pObj->GetMg());  

cRay->Init(pObj, TRUE);  
      cRay->Intersect(otail, !oray, 10000.0);  

if (cRay->GetNearestIntersection(&res))  
      {  
          GePrint("A COLLISION HAS OCCURED");  
          return TRUE;  
      }  

return TRUE;  

I am not seeing anything in the console that says "A COLLISION HAS OCCURED"  when I put my mouse over the active object...    Does anyone see a reason why my code wouldn't work?

Thanks,

Shawn

EDIT:  DOH!  I figured it out.  My collider was too short.  :)  Remember size does matter.  ;)

On 02/04/2011 at 11:44, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Is there a more complete example of this?

I'm assuming that bd is a parameter used with this class method:
    virtual DRAWRESULT Draw  (BaseObject *op, DRAWPASS type, BaseDraw *bd, BaseDrawHelp *bh);

So I'm also assuming that the DRAWRESULT method needs to also be used.
    But what goes inside of it?

Can anyone provide a more complete example of this?

-ScottA

On 02/04/2011 at 11:51, xxxxxxxx wrote:

what specifically would you like to achieve with it?  I could be more specific if I knew what you were looking to do.  :)

To answer your first question,  bd is the BaseDraw that is allocated in my function.  In my case I am calling my function from the Draw() function which also allocates a BaseBraw so I just use the bd from that function and pass it to my own.

If you'd like I can repost the code I posted above with more comments to explain what each thing does.  :)

On 02/04/2011 at 12:21, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Shawn,
    I'm just trying to learn how to do basic ray collision that prints a message to the console when the mouse is over an object.

I think I understand the code that's been posted so far. But it's only a small portion of the entire .cpp file. And I'm having trouble building the stuff that's not been listed to make it work.
    Namely the classes and the methods.

-ScottA

On 02/04/2011 at 12:32, xxxxxxxx wrote:

The code above is coming from a ToolData plugin.   You could put the following code in the Draw() function of a tooldata plugin,

TOOLDRAW MyClass::Draw(BaseDocument* doc, BaseContainer& data, BaseDraw* bd, BaseDrawHelp* bh, BaseThread* bt, TOOLDRAWFLAGS flags){  

BaseObject* pObj = doc->GetActiveObject();  
          if(!pObj) return TOOLDRAW_0;  

AutoAlloc<GeRayCollider> cRay;  
          if (!cRay) return TOOLDRAW_0;  

GeRayColResult res;  

// Make sure RayCollider is there  
          if (!cRay)  
          {  
              GePrint("ERROR - RayCollider not Initialized");  
              return TOOLDRAW_0;  
          }  

Vector wtail =    bd->SW(Vector(mouseX, mouseY, 0));  
          Vector whead =    bd->SW(Vector(mouseX, mouseY, 100000));  
          Vector otail = (!pObj->GetMg()) * wtail;  
          Vector oray     = (whead - wtail) ^ (!pObj->GetMg());  

cRay->Init(pObj, TRUE);  
          cRay->Intersect(otail, !oray, 10000.0);  

if (cRay->GetNearestIntersection(&res))  
          {  
              GePrint("A COLLISION HAS OCCURED");  
          }  

return TOOLDRAW_0;  

}  

mouseX and mouseY are global Reals.  Both declared as global variables.   Then in the GetCursorInfo()  you would simply put   

Bool MyClass::GetCursorInfo(BaseDocument* doc, BaseContainer& data, BaseDraw* bd, Real x, Real y, BaseContainer& bc){  

mouseX = x;  
        mouseY = y;  
        if (x > -1.0f)     SpecialEventAdd(EVMSG_UPDATEHIGHLIGHT);  

return TRUE;  

}  

This should give you a working model to learn from.   :)  

Hope that helps.  

~Shawn  

_<_h4_>__<_h4_>_/h4>

On 02/04/2011 at 13:06, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Shawn.
    Got it working now.👍

BTW: Did you ever figure out how to merge documents?

-ScottA

On 02/04/2011 at 13:11, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I did.   I don't have the code here though because i am not home..  send me a PM at c4d cafe to remind me and i will send it to you when i get home.  I keep forgetting to send it to you cuz when i get outa work i get focused on other things  lol

sorry about that.  :)

~Shawn

On 02/04/2011 at 14:07, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm not a member there.

My e-mail is:  scottasba@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    -ScottA