Triangulate?

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 10/03/2007 at 03:42, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   9.1 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Im writing a plugin to export C4D scenes to indigo XML format. When i export to .obj format(3ds gets triangulated automatically) i need to triangulate the mesh before export. how do i do that?

heres a code snippet:

Bool ExportXML::ExportObject(BaseObject *bo, BaseDocument *doc, Bool objExport, Filename fn, Bool meshLight)
    {
    BaseDocument *doc_dummy = BaseDocument::Alloc();
    BaseTag *baset;
    GeData gedata;
    Material *tagmat;
    Material *clonetagmat;
    //Vector tempVector;
    //Vector vector;

if (meshLight == 0)
    {
    //COPY MATERIAL
    }

//COPY OBJECT

//SET POS 0,0,0 and ROTATION
    Matrix matrix = baseobj->GetMg();

matrix.off.x = 0;
    matrix.off.y = 0;
    matrix.off.z = 0;

//rotete if .obj 0 1 0
    if(objExport == 1)
    {
    //x
    matrix.v1.x = 1;
    matrix.v1.y = 0;
    matrix.v1.z = 0;
    //y
    matrix.v2.x = 0;
    matrix.v2.y = 0;
    matrix.v2.z = -1;
    //z
    matrix.v3.x = 0;
    matrix.v3.y = 1;
    matrix.v3.z = 0;
    }

baseobj->SetMg(matrix,FALSE);

if (meshLight == 0)
    {
    //SET MAT
    }

if(objExport == 1)
    {
    // triangulate here
    }

//EXPORT
    if (objExport == 1) SaveDocument(doc_dummy,fn,TRUE,FORMAT_OBJEXPORT);
    else SaveDocument(doc_dummy,fn,TRUE,FORMAT_3DSEXPORT);

doc_dummy->Free(doc_dummy);

return TRUE;
    }

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 10/03/2007 at 09:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Have you tried Triangulate()? :)

If your object isn't polygonal, you'll need to convert it to be so first using either BaseDocument::Polygonize() or SendModelingCommand(MCOMMAND_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT,...).

On 10/03/2007 at 10:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

yes, i saw thet function in the documentation, but i have no clue wherei should get the values from

Bool Triangulate(Vector* padr, LONG pcnt, CPolygon** vadr, LONG* vcnt)

On 10/03/2007 at 12:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Straight from the polygon object:

BaseObject* obj; // Your starting object  
    PolygonObject* pobj = ToPoly(obj);  
    Vector* padr = pobj->GetPoint();  
    LONG pcnt = pobj->GetPointCount()  
    if (!pcnt) return FALSE; // - or some error handling. This object has no points (and no useful polygons)  
    // These point to the newly created polygon triangle array and the number of triangles - don't forget to GeFree(tripolys) when you are done with the array!  
    CPolygon* tripolys;  
    LONG tricount;  
    if (!Triangulate(padr, pcnt, &tripolys;, &tricount;)) return FALSE; // Failed to triangulate  
    if (!(tripolys && tricount)) return FALSE; // tripolys=NULL or tricount=0L

Then use these polygons instead of the ones on the original object - use the original points as they don't get changed during triangulation.

On 27/03/2007 at 14:17, xxxxxxxx wrote:

thank you so far, but i still dont get what to do with the array.

On 27/03/2007 at 14:44, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Ah, you are using the built-in Cinema 4D OBJ export. There are two ways to do this then:

1. Triangulate using SendModelingCommand(MCOMMAND_TRIANGULATE) and get the result to use for export - you'll probably want to InsertObject() this result into the dummy document. Follow the MCOMMAND_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT example in this case.

2. Use the tripoly array to update the Polygon object. This will require calling PolygonObject::ResizeObject() with the current vertex array size and new polygon array size, filling in its polygon array with the tripoly array info, and then using the original Polygon object for export.

On 31/03/2007 at 00:54, xxxxxxxx wrote:

thank you very much, works great.

On 22/04/2008 at 10:50, xxxxxxxx wrote:

ok, first of all, sry for ressurrecting such an old topic.

I'm still have problems with triangulation.

Until now i was using SendModelingCommand(MCOMMAND_TRIANGULATE, Mdd), and it works fine.

But when i use Triangulate() the way kuroyume described, they alway come out mixed up, i cant get i to work:

help?

On 23/04/2008 at 14:58, xxxxxxxx wrote:

did i understand something wrong?

no idea, anyone?

On 02/01/2009 at 05:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey, I just got the very same problem.
    Found any solution yet?

Or is there working example code for the MCOMMAND_TRIANGULATE? Can't get that to work, either.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Jack

On 06/01/2009 at 03:23, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Triangulate() is not really meant to be used for existing polygon meshes but rather for example to create triangles from a point cloud.

> Quote: _Or is there working example code for the MCOMMAND_TRIANGULATE?
    >
    > * * *
    _

That's actually pretty easy, here an example:

> \> Bool MenuTest::Execute(BaseDocument \*doc) \> { \>      StopAllThreads(); \> \>      BaseObject \*op = doc->GetActiveObject(); \>      if(!op) return TRUE; \> \>      if(op->GetType() == Opolygon) \>      { \>           ModelingCommandData md; \>           md.doc = doc; \>           md.op = op; \> \>           SendModelingCommand(MCOMMAND_TRIANGULATE, md); \>      } \>       \>      return TRUE; \> } \>

cheers,
    Matthias