point normals and smoothing groups

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 19/10/2006 at 03:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   9.6 
    Platform:   Windows  ;   
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Hello all,

I'm trying to find out the normal at each point a,b,c,d of a determined polygon. I've read here on the forum that the way to go is to average each neighbour polygon face normal but:

Doesn't this averaging method ignore the polygon smoothing groups? (think of averaging a box polygons normals would 'round' it) or maybe that concept does not exist in c4d?

thanks!

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 19/10/2006 at 03:49, xxxxxxxx wrote:

wops, this one was quick ;) BaseObject::CreatePhongNormals() checking the TPhong tag previously :D

On 23/10/2006 at 01:10, xxxxxxxx wrote:

BaseObject::CreatePhongNormals()

In what version of c4d was that implemented? I use v8.5 and I don't seem to find it in the docs?

regards
    /Filip

On 23/10/2006 at 02:37, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Quote: Originally posted by FilipM on 23 October 2006
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > BaseObject::CreatePhongNormals()
    >
    > In what version of c4d was that implemented? I use v8.5 and I don't seem to find it in the docs?
    >
    > regards
    > /Filip
    >
    >
    > * * *

It was introduced with Cinema4D R9.

Matthias