Threading in GetVirtualObjects()

THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 20/07/2006 at 12:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
Cinema 4D Version:   9,6 
Platform:   Windows  ;   
Language(s) :

---------
Hi support,

is it safe to use an own thread in GetVirtualObjects()? Anything that needs to be paid attention to?

Thanks iA

THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 25/07/2006 at 18:28, xxxxxxxx wrote:

No, I think that should be fine, as long as you take care to syncronize properly with the thread. I can't say that I see the advantage, since at some point you will have to block the thread, since the call to GetVirtualObjects() must return. Or did you plan to keep a calculation thread going and just return the current state of the calculation?

On 27/07/2006 at 04:19, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Mikael. I have a simulation that has several "passes" and I would like to run some passes at the same time (as they are not dependant on each other), so I would like to run them in seperate threads. I would then like to wait for them to finish and run the rest of the simulation.

Is that feasible or is that the wrong way to go?

Thanks Mikael!
Samir

On 28/07/2006 at 00:29, xxxxxxxx wrote:

It's hard to say whether you would gain anything. I would expect some overhead from running them as threads. You should benchmark the code to see if it would be more efficient just running them one after the other.

On 28/07/2006 at 00:36, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yep, I am expecting the overhead. 🙂 Thank you, will then try it and see if it´s feasible.