Renaming bug in COFFEE

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 20/01/2005 at 04:27, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   9 
    Platform:      
    Language(s) :   C.O.F.F.E.E  ;

---------
    Hi all, I´m experincing strange behaviour trying to renamin an object in cinema

var obj;  
    var objCont = obj->GetContainer();  
    var objName = obj->GetName();  
    var newName = "test_name";  
    obj->SetName(newname + objName);  

this renames the object using the new Name as a prefix, but creates NEW!?? objects in the scene.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

thanks

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 20/01/2005 at 08:05, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, was willst du? Neue Namen oder neue Objekte mit neuem Namen?
    Gruß Tim

On 20/01/2005 at 08:51, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Just new names, I know how to create new objects:

var newObj = new(objType);  

// insert into document  
    doc->InsertObject(newObj, NULL, NULL);  

I´m just wondering why the code in my previous post creates new objects in the active doc.

On 21/01/2005 at 00:49, xxxxxxxx wrote:

try this:
    var obj;
    var objCont = obj->GetContainer();
    obj->SetName(newname + objName);
    newObj->Remove();
    doc->InsertObject(newObj, NULL, NULL);

Grüße aus Freiburg

Tim

On 21/01/2005 at 11:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks wegfressen, but you dont seem to understand what I´m getting at. I am not creating any new objects, I am renaming objects that are alreading in the scene.

On 21/01/2005 at 14:15, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Anybody? Could someone at least confirm this, then I know I can give up.

On 21/01/2005 at 14:27, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Have you tried changing 'newName' to something else? This might be slipping past the interpreter as 'new Name' or something. The actual code would be useful as well (iow, I suppose that 'var obj' has been set to an object in the Document's Object Manager or one that's about to be placed there).

Robert

On 23/01/2005 at 04:49, xxxxxxxx wrote:

kuroyume0161, newname is a user set variable, it is retrieved from an edittext box in the GUI, var obj is dynamically set when the code climbs down a hierachy in the present document.

On 26/01/2005 at 05:49, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Well if Maxon would admit its a bug I would be happy, just plain not saying anything is a drag.

On 26/01/2005 at 23:57, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I can't confirm this bug. I used the following code in a menu plugin: (In the example you have written newname instead of newName. I also had to fill in obj myself.)

MyMenuPlugin::Execute(doc)  
        {  
          var obj = doc->FindObject("Cube");   
          obj->SetName(newName + objName);  
          GeEventAdd(ACTIVE_OBJECT_CHANGED);  
        }

There are no new objects created afaics. Where is the code run in your plugin? Could you post a little more code? (Preferably to the point where its a complete but scaled down plugin still showing the error.)

On 27/01/2005 at 08:22, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks Michael for your reply, is it okay if I post you the code? If yes, where to?

> Quote: Originally posted by Mikael Sterner on 26 January 2005
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > I can't confirm this bug. I used the following code in a menu plugin: (In the example you have written newname instead of newName. I also had to fill in obj myself.)
    >
    >

\>  {  
    \>  var obj = doc->FindObject("Cube");   
    \>  var objName = obj->GetName();   
    \>  var newName = "test_name";   
    \>  obj->SetName(newName + objName);  
    \>  GeEventAdd(ACTIVE_OBJECT_CHANGED);  
    \>  }

>
    > There are no new objects created afaics. Where is the code run in your plugin? Could you post a little more code? (Preferably to the point where its a complete but scaled down plugin still showing the error.)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > * * *

On 27/01/2005 at 12:37, xxxxxxxx wrote:

If you don't want to post the code here you can send it to sdk_support@maxon.net.

On 05/02/2005 at 13:39, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Mikael, could you confirm the bug? I sent you a code snippet last week.

On 09/02/2005 at 03:59, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Sorry, I will have a look at it as soon as possible.

On 16/02/2005 at 14:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Mike, have you checked up on my problem?

Sharriff

On 20/02/2005 at 15:03, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hmm, I did run the code now by adding the missing parts to make it a complete function:

GetGlobalRotation(obj);  
        SetGlobalRotation(obj, rot);  
        GetGlobalPosition(obj);  
        SetGlobalPosition(obj, pos);

// register plugin in menu  
        class MyMenuPlugin : MenuPlugin  
        {  
         public:  
          MyMenuPlugin();

GetID();  
          GetName();  
          GetHelp();  
          Execute(doc);  
        }

MyMenuPlugin::MyMenuPlugin() { super(); }  
        MyMenuPlugin::GetID()        { return 13215235; }  
        MyMenuPlugin::GetName()      { return "Hello World"; }  
        MyMenuPlugin::GetHelp()      { return "Demonstrates a simple modal dialog";  
        }

{  
         mirrorEditOrigBone(doc->GetFirstObject());  
        }

main()  
        {  
        prefixOrigBone = "bar";  
        prefixMirrorBone = "foo";  
         Register(MyMenuPlugin);  
        }

Then I added a bone to the scene and ran the plugin. As expected I get two new bones, one named "fooBone" and one named "barBone". Do you get more than two bones if you do that? That sounds really weird. I tried both in 9.013 and 9.101, but unless I can duplicate the bug there's not much I can do. Does the bug show up if you do a small expression that renames stuff as well?

On 22/02/2005 at 12:31, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for looking into my problem Mike, yes, the problem arises only when I rename the bones, this happens in 8.2, 9.0 and 9.1. I use a recursive function to traverse the hierachy, in the loop, I create and name bones, this works well if i dont rename the bones. I I do, I get the renamed bones, the clones and the original bones in addition.

On 28/02/2005 at 12:48, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Have you checked up on the bug Mikael?

Thanks.

On 28/02/2005 at 13:43, xxxxxxxx wrote:

I still haven't been able to reproduce it. My bones rename just fine with the code you sent. Sorry that this has taken so long, but unless I can duplicate the behaviour I can't find out what's wrong.
    Just to be absolutely eliminate all sources of confusion, could you send a specific scene and the whole plugin to the support account? (Please remove as much code as possible, while making sure that the error still occurs on your side.)