SplineObject::ResizeObject help

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 11/11/2004 at 15:46, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   8.206 
    Platform:      
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    Hi, I'm trying to resize a spline to give it more points. I am currently trying it using the SplineObject::ResizeObject

// oSpline is the spline object  
    oSpline->ResizeObject(10,1);  

But in the viewport. There is no points on the spline object. Using the life selection tool highlights a point at {0,0,0} but it doesn't keep it highlighted. Also the structure tab for the spline object shows there are 10 points, with every point at {0,0,0}.
    So it seems the points are there, just they are not usuable.

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 12/11/2004 at 06:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, ResizeObject will only add new points but as you have noticed they are all placed at 0,0,0. It is YOUR job to place them to the correct spot!

On 12/11/2004 at 11:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi 3D Designer.

Thing is, I HAVE moved them to another spot in the 3D world. But the spline doesn't show in the viewport, nor does any of the control points.

It's fine if I create the spline object with default point count in the constructer, but after I Resize it, all points just dissappear.

On 12/11/2004 at 11:39, xxxxxxxx wrote:

did you call oSpline->Message(MSG_CHANGE); ? This is always necessary when modifying pointdata.

On 12/11/2004 at 11:55, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yeah, I tried that

This is the full code that i'm trying to work

// Find Spline Object (This object is a empty spline)  
         SplineObject *oSpline = (SplineObject* )hh->GetDocument()->SearchObject("Spline");  
         if(!oSpline) return NULL;  

// Resize the Spline to have 10 points  

// Move the points  
         for(LONG i=0; i < 10; i++)  
         {  
              Vector *vadr = oSpline->GetPoint();  
              vadr _= Vector(0.0,0.0,i*50.0);  
         }  

oSpline->Message(MSG_UPDATE);  

The thing that confuses me is that the points seem to be there (even though I can't see them), but I cannot access them with any of the C4D tools. Using live selection tool for example, actually highlights the points, but as soon as I release the mouse button, they de-select themselves

On 12/11/2004 at 12:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

your code seems to be a bit wrong. It should look like this:

SplineObject *oSpline = (SplineObject* )hh->GetDocument()->SearchObject("Spline");  
         if(!oSpline) return NULL;  

// Resize the Spline to have 10 points  
          **oSpline- >Message(MSG_CHANGE);** //Call it after resizing  
         // Move the points  
          **Vector *vadr = oSpline- >GetPoint();** //Get points already here (performance)  
         for(LONG i=0; i < 10; i++)  
         {  
              vadr **[ i ]** = Vector(0.0,0.0,i*50.0); //Missing index  
         }

oSpline->Message(MSG_UPDATE);

On 12/11/2004 at 14:35, xxxxxxxx wrote:

It was a bit wrong because i typed it up and was rushing :)

the only difference I did was I didnt do the message after resize. will try that next!

On 12/11/2004 at 14:57, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy,

I know this may look wrong but try changing your resize line to this:

oSpline->ResizeObject(10,0);

Adios,
    Cactus Dan

On 12/11/2004 at 16:18, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Quote: Originally posted by Cactus Dan on 12 November 2004
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I know this may look wrong but try changing your resize line to this:
    >
    > oSpline- >ResizeObject(10,0);
    >
    > Adios,
    > Cactus Dan
    >
    >
    > * * *

THANK YOU!

I thought it was me going crazy. Everything I tried wouldn't, but I never imagined resizing the spline with 0 segments would of worked.

Thanks for your help people, works a charm :)

On 12/11/2004 at 16:38, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy,

I struggled for a long time with the same thing. One segment seemed more logical to me, but then I did a GetSegmentCount() beforehand and printed the result and it displayed the number 0.

Adios,
    Cactus Dan

On 12/11/2004 at 18:59, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Good point. Haven´t thought of this myself. :)

On 13/11/2004 at 09:13, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy,

> Quote: Originally posted by 3D Designer on 12 November 2004
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > Good point. Haven´t thought of this myself. :)
    >
    >
    > * * *

Actually, I started using it like this:

LONG seg = oSpline- >GetSegmentCount();
    oSpline->ResizeObject(10, seg);

That way I avoid any confusion on my part.

Adios,
    Cactus Dan

On 13/11/2004 at 09:56, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yeah, but it´s anyway not really logical. It´s plausible that if it is no multi-segment spline the count is unnecessary and is set to 0 but it would be more logical if one had to pass 1.

Anyway, I am not using this at all but always use the VariableChanged class, so I haven´t gotten into this problem yet either. :)

On 13/11/2004 at 10:27, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Howdy,

Hey, thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that class. It looks like a good one to know.

Adios,
    Cactus Dan