Missing FreeTool() call with ToolData

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 06/01/2004 at 10:22, xxxxxxxx wrote:

User Information:
    Cinema 4D Version:   8.100 
    Platform:      
    Language(s) :     C++  ;

---------
    there is a missing FreeTool() call if the tool is active and you quit Cinema4D.

Tool Data
              virtual void      FreeTool(BaseDocument *doc, BaseContainer &data;);

• THE POST BELOW IS MORE THAN 5 YEARS OLD. RELATED SUPPORT INFORMATION MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR DEPRECATED

On 06/01/2004 at 11:52, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Klaus,
    I don´t think this is a bug. The FreeTool function is meant to be called when switching tools not when leaving Cinema4D. You can use your destructor to free allocated memory when C4D quits.

On 10/01/2004 at 14:46, xxxxxxxx wrote:

It should be called, otherwise it doesn't make sense to use InitTool().

F.e. if InitTool() creates temp-objects in the scene and FreeTool() deletes this, this objects are still there if you quit (and save the scene).

On 11/01/2004 at 09:44, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Quote: Originally posted by Klaus Karlhuber on 10  January 2004
    >
    > * * *
    >
    > It should be called, otherwise it doesn't make sense to use InitTool().
    >
    > Sorry but why doesn´t it make sense? InitTool is called when the tool is chosen and FreeTool is called when the tool is switched (to another tool). Makes sense to me.
    >
    >
    > Quote: Originally posted by Klaus Karlhuber on 10  January 2004
    >
    > * * *
    >
    >
    > F.e. if InitTool() creates temp-objects in the scene and FreeTool() deletes this, this objects are still there if you quit (and save the scene).
    >
    > * * *
    That´s why I said you should use your destructor :=) It will definetly be called and you can free any resources you allocated in InitTool() if the user quits Cinema 4D with your tool active.

On 12/01/2004 at 03:46, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes of course you can go around this problem with the destructor-method. But it would be more convenience if there is a FreeTool call at the end.

F.e. if you need doc in the destructor, you have to store it at the InitTool-call. Therefore this end-call of FreeTool would solve all this workarounds. It's maybe not the correct forum, because it's not really a bug - but there is no ideas/suggestions-forum.

The Maxon-Coder should decide if it makes sense to change this.

On 12/01/2004 at 06:11, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, I agree that it would probably be more convenient and as a suggestion I think it´s good :)