DrawHUDText returns a white box instead of a text?

• hiya,

SceneHookPlugin. It's a type of plugin that you can't be created in python.

Of course you can use the DrawHUDText in Python but you should use every draw possibilities (text, line, polygons) within a Draw() function that you override in your object (witch can be a tag, a generator, a tool etc..).

Is it more clear ? Let me know i'll try to reformulate.

ha, yes, about the error, you have to create a basic res directory with an empty description and string. Those files should be named 'tdrawexample' (.res, .str, .h)

Cheers
    Manuel

• @m_magalhaes

Thanks for the response.
    RE: Of course you can use the DrawHUDText in Python but you should use every draw possibilities (text, line, polygons) within a Draw() function that you override in your object (witch can be a tag, a generator, a tool etc..).

So, does this mean it is not possible with a script. Only a through plug-in. That's why you referred the tag plug-in as a solution right? Sorry. I don't really see a Python documentation for the Draw() function.

RE: create a basic res directory.
    Thanks for the clarification. I tried making one, but still gives me a could not initialize error
    Here is the current directory is:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nd9mwvanmrxabkt/c4d132_HUD_draw_text_b.jpg?dl=0

Thank you for looking at the problem.

• hello @bentraje

Sorry i should have linked you to the c++ Draw manual.

About the directory structure you should have a look at this documentation

something like so
    tree.JPG

Cheers,
    Manuel

• @m_magalhaes

Thanks for the tree example. It loads successfully.
    But it gives an error of tdrawexample.str
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcr1xid9cqml92o/c4d132_HUD_draw_text_c.jpg?dl=0

My concern is there is really nothing on .str file. Should I put something in there?

• hey @bentraje,

I've update the other thread with all information and files.
    In fact you always need a "minimum" in those files.

Sorry for not being clear.

Cheers
    Manuel

• @m_magalhaes

Thank you so much for the patience. It loads with no errors. Just one thing, how does it draw in the viewport?
    I guess the name of the tag will appear on the viewport?

You can see the current state here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pekm2msrut6f2ia/c4d132_HUD_draw_text_d.jpg?dl=0

Sorry again for the trouble.

• Don't worry :)

the code prevent to work with non polygon object because we need to acces point position information with GetAllPoints

if not op.IsInstanceOf(c4d.Opolygon):
                return c4d.DRAWRESULT_OK

just edit your primitive. (by the way be carefull with the point number, it can be messy xD)

Cheers
    Manuel

• @m_magalhaes

Thanks for the response! It works as expected. You can see the result here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4iivf56vaqzztk/c4d132_HUD_draw_text_e.jpg?dl=0

Using the plug-in code you provided, I just replaced the DrawMultiple command to
    bd.DrawHUDText(50, 50, 'HUD Test')

I see now what you mean by "the viewport is redraw so you have to redraw your text again."
    I tried adding print "Hello World" within the code and it prints every redraw.

Will consider the thread as solved.

Thanks again. Have a great day ahead!

• Hi Manuel,
    I've tried to follow your example from the thread you linked but it gives me "Could not initialize global resource for the plugin"

I thought it was solved, maybe something is changed in R21 or S22?

thanks

• I started again from scratch and now it works but only in R21.
    In S22 here's no error in the console but nothing shows in the viewport (the object is a polygon).

• hi,

in s22 you have to register the tag with this tag : TAG_IMPLEMENTS_DRAW_FUNCTION

info=c4d.TAG_EXPRESSION | c4d.TAG_VISIBLE | c4d.TAG_IMPLEMENTS_DRAW_FUNCTION ,

Cheers,
    Manuel

• it works.
    thanks

• I discovered another problem in S22, maybe.
    The Hud text is correct but when I deselect the polygon object I cannot select anything in the viewport anymore.
    I don't know if it's a bug or an error in the plugin

thanks again

• hi,

thanks a lot for that, i didn't tested it.
    I've opened a bug entry for that one. We changed the viewport and lot of stuff.

I'll update this thread when the bug will be fixed.

Cheers,
    Manuel

• @m_magalhaes said in DrawHUDText returns a white box instead of a text?:

TAG_IMPLEMENTS_DRAW_FUNCTION

I came across this problem today.

#define TAG_IMPLEMENTS_DRAW_FUNCTION (1 << 8)

note : you can add this flag to R21 builds, and your tags then display as expected in 22.

RE: DrawHUDText

z settings have no effect on text.
    in 21, text is drawn behind poly objects.
    in 22 text is drawn in front of obejcts.

IMO, this is a bit of a mess. the new draw flag should be the exact opposite to what it is, to keep compatibility.
    small differences, make a big difference when your already bending over backwards trying not to have to rebuild everything yet again, for 22.

• Regarding the Z setting of DrawHUDText (I'm not sure about which one to be honest since there is no Z param for this method) previously the fact that HUD was behind poly object was a limitation regarding how our draw call was done by the viewport, but this is addressed in S22 and its the expected result that a HUD text is not overridden by any other objects but act as a HUD and to be draw in front of everything.

Cheers,
    Maxime.