HashMap with BaseArray as value

• With R20 I had no problem using a HashMap with a BaseArray<Int32> as value. All compiling fine, and working as expected.
    Porting that implementation to R19 (for users having not upgraded to R20), I encounter a compiler error, mentioning that the operator= cannot be accessed, since private.
    Obviously, I had to replace the R20 HashMap::Insert for an R19 HashMap::Put and there seems to lie the problem

// key is an integer and value an array of integers
    	maxon::HashMap<Int32, maxon::BaseArray<Int32>> dataKeyValue;

const Int32 key = 1;

maxon::HashMap<Int32, maxon::BaseArray<Int32>>::Entry* e = dataKeyValue.FindEntry(key);
    	if (e)
    	{
    		maxon::BaseArray<Int32>& values = e->GetValue();

// ...
    	}
    	else
    	{
    		maxon::BaseArray<Int32> newValues;

// ...

dataKeyValue.Put(key, newValues);
    	}

The compiler error:

error C2248: 'maxon::BaseArray<Bool,16,maxon::BASEARRAYFLAGS_0,maxon::DefaultAllocator>::operator =': cannot access private member declared in class 'maxon::BaseArray<Bool,16,maxon::BASEARRAYFLAGS_0,maxon::DefaultAllocator>'

Any hint what I could do in order to have the same functionality compiled in R19?
    Thanks in advance.

• Hi Daniel, thanks for reaching out us.

With regard to your question, the old HashMap::Put implementation does only support types which have a copy-assignment operator. But there’s the FindOrCreateEntry function which inserts an entry and default-initializes the value, then the value can be set later.

maxon::Bool created = false;

maxon::HashMap<Int32, maxon::BaseArray<Int32>>::Entry* e = dataKeyValue.FindOrCreateEntry(key, created);

if (!e)
            // error handling

if (created)
    {
            maxon::BaseArray<Int32> newValues;
            // ...
            e->SetValue(std::move(newValues));
    }

Let me know if it does work as expected.

Cheers, Riccardo

• @r_gigante
    Thanks for the headsup about FindOrCreateEntry.
    Since Put does use that method internally, I didn't even consider about trying to use it, as I simply assumed it would have the same issue. Guess I was wrong about not trying it.

Problem solved.