Solved urllib2.urlopen fails on C4D for Mac

I tried again and it worked perfectly.
I'm not sure what caused the previous problem. I probably did something wrong.
I'm still testing it on my windows pc, and I'm not getting any errors.
I guess this thread will be marked as solved in a few minutes :joy:

Code worked on all of my beta testers' mac and windows devices. :grin: :ok_hand:
Thanks, Maxime!

Hey everyone,

i am having this problem where I want to download an assets (zipfile) from a private repo on GitHub.

I've started to develop it with requests from there everything worked fine... now I am trying to port it to urllib2 for C4D but it doesn't work anymore...

'Accept': 'application/octet-stream' will always result in: HTTP Error 415: Unsupported Media Type

If I get rid of 'Accept': 'application/octet-stream' it will give me the application/json

        headers = {
            'Authorization': 'token %s' % (MYTOKEN),
            'Accept': 'application/octet-stream',

        url = ''

        request = urllib2.Request(url, headers=headers)
        response = urllib2.urlopen(request)


        #GIVES ME:
        #urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 415: Unsupported Media Type

Any idea how to avoid the HTTP Error 415 and download the zip to disk?
Really hard to find something about this anywhere...

Any help is appreciated.


Hi Lasse,

you're probably having some issues with authorization.
You're getting a JSON response which may indicate that your requested URL cannot be delivered.
What's the content of the reponse if you print it?
Does it happen with a public repo as well?


Hi Robert!

Haven't tested it with a public repo yet, but I'll bet its going to work ... the print of the response gives me:

urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 415: Unsupported Media Type

which I can't find much info for ...

By the way, the URL you provided doesn't reflect GitHubs scheme. It is actually

@mp5gosu Yep, the link is coming from the provided JSON data. Also removing the repo from the link gives me the same error!
Is it possible that this has something to do with 'Accept': 'application/octet-stream'? Isn't it possible to stream with urllib2?

Hey Lasse,

sorry - removing "repos" is actually wrong when using api access, my bad.
I can now also comprehend your problem. I'm going to dig a little deeper. ;)

Hey again. Managed to download it when using the zipball or tarball URLs. Weird though, that it responds with 415 when using the asset id directly.

@mp5gosu interesting... i guess shipping and importing the requests module with the plugin, is too much of a hassle... really hard to find any further informations on this... strange...

I dare to say that urllib2 is the culprit here. I don't have any problems using other libs or tool in the exact same way. curl works out of the box for example.

yeah, had no luck either... okay, so I'm probably back to importing requests as 3rd party module. :)

Thanks for the quick help, Robert!

Using requests package would be the solution I guess. Even the docs state that they are auperior on high level access.
The web says that urllib2 is broken in so many ways due to its age.

Hi @lasselauch as @mp5gosu this is a urrlib2 issue and we can't provide support on this topic.
Moreover, if you have more questions (while I think everything is said), please open a new thread since while the overall topic is related, the question and issue are different.


The issue with the certificates still persists in R21.022 on macOS 10.13.6.

Only asking personal code questions here.

@fwilleke80 thanks for bumping it, I will bump this topic when the issue will be resolved.
For the time being, my workaround provided previously still work.


R23 still has the same Error

Hi @pyr this shouldn't happen on R23.
Can you confirm your exact Cinema 4D version (located in help->About in the bottom you do have the full build number)
Your Os and OS version.
The code used and the error returned.

Thanks a lot,

I had a question too partially related to this one.

I was using urllib2 to access a payhip product page of my own, so that when I use my VersionReader Node in XPresso, it can access the current preset version code present on my product page. For some reason, when I try to open the webpage, it ends up not working. It has no feedback reply as well. I had it on a try-except block so I don't knoe what is the exact error (yet)

However, I can access my github webpage for the build code, so having a solution for this is not really needed for my side (my friend does not have a github page so we kinda need to have a workaround)

I was using R19 for this set of scripts.

Hi @SolarPH please open a new topic with your code and the exact error.