How to use c4d.utils.PolygonReduction

• Hi all,

I'm struggling to understand how does the polygon reduction works. The manual provides a sample code:
    https://developers.maxon.net/docs/Cinema4DPythonSDK/html/manuals/manual_polygonreduction.html

I tried to run this one, but I get the following error:
    StandardError: The dictionary must contain a valid polygonal BaseObject (_op dictionary entry)

I understand this error: I'm providing the wrong object type (https://developers.maxon.net/docs/Cinema4DPythonSDK/html/types/objects.html). I think I have to convert the object to PolygonObject, am I right? If so, how do I do that?

• Hi,

That's right, the error you're getting is related to the type of the passed object to be processed by the PolygonReduction.
    The sample code shouldn't try to process an object that isn't a PolygonObject because there's this check at the beginning:

if not polyObject.IsInstanceOf(c4d.Opolygon):
        return

To convert a BaseObject to a PolygonObject the Current State to Object modeling command can be used.
    The utility function below invokes the MCOMMAND_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT:

def CSTO(obj, doc, inheritance, keepAnimation, noGenerate):
        bc = c4d.BaseContainer()
        bc.SetBool(c4d.MDATA_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT_INHERITANCE, inheritance)
        bc.SetBool(c4d.MDATA_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT_KEEPANIMATION, keepAnimation)
        bc.SetBool(c4d.MDATA_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT_NOGENERATE, noGenerate)

res = c4d.utils.SendModelingCommand(c4d.MCOMMAND_CURRENTSTATETOOBJECT, list=[obj.GetClone()], bc=bc, doc=doc)
        if isinstance(res, list):
            return res[0]
        else:
            return None

The CSTO() function can then be invoked like this:

if not polyObject.IsInstanceOf(c4d.Opolygon):
        polyObject = CSTO(polyObject, doc, True, True, False)
        if polyObject is None:
            return

I moved the topic to "CINEMA 4D DEVELOPMENT" category and I turned it into a question and answer (you can do this by yourself, see Q&A New Functionality).

• Thank you y_puech

Would you be so kindly to explain me the difference between a BaseObject, a PolygonObject and a PointObject? Honestly I don't think the python documentation is really clear

Consider that I'm new to cinema4d (I'm from the blender's world)

• Hi,

A BaseObject is the base type of every object in a document. A PointObject is an object that holds points. Then an object can be a PolygonObject if it has polygons.
    For instance if a generator object is made editable then it's transformed into a PolygonObject which is also a PointObject.
    The (reduced) object classes inheritance tree is as follows:

• BaseObject
      • PointObject
        • SplineObject
        • PolygonObject

• Thank you! This is so much clear now